Mold Inspections & Testing

Mold…a growing concern.

Mold has the potential to cause health problems and even make a home inhabitable. However, everyone is affected differently when in contact with mold. The mold that may not bother one person may severely affect another. Some mold can produce allergens, irritants and in some cases. potentially toxic chemical substances known as mycotoxins. People who are sensitive to mold and exposed to mycotoxins can become ill. Allergic reactions to mold are common. They can be immediate or delayed. People diagnosed with allergies and asthma may be very sensitive to mold. Mold can cause asthma attacks. Others at risk may include: infants, the elderly, immune compromised patients, pregnant women and individuals with existing respiratory conditions.

Mold can be found in several areas in the home environment. It appears most often in moist areas as small black circles, mushrooms or thread like white objects. It is usually accompanied with musty type odor. Mold spores are invisible to the naked eye and float through the indoor and outdoor air. Mold begins to grow indoors when mold spores land on surfaces that are wet or damp. It is important to dry water damaged areas and items within 24-48 hours to prevent mold growth.

If there has been a mold problem and has been remediated, the most important step is to have a post remediation testing. This final testing procedure provides confirmation that the project has been satisfactorily remediated and the contamination as not spread to other areas.

If you would like more information or need a mold assessment. Please call All Pro Home Inspectors Inc. (904) 807-0939